El País Launches Brazil Website with Article by Lula

» brazil briefing

El País Launches Brazil Website with Article by Lula

Investing €2.5 million per year, the Spanish newspaper has launched a website in Portuguese

El País Launches Brazil Website with Article by Lula

The Brazilian online edition of El País, one of Europe’s most prestigious newspapers, went live on Tuesday, November 26. The brand belongs to Spanish Grupo Prisa, which announced an annual investment of €2.5 million in the project. With 12 people in the newsroom and a local sales team, El País in Portuguese has columnists like Luís Inácio Lula da Silva and Paulo Coelho among other prominent figures. It also features a long interview with President Dilma Rousseff.


The new website marks another major step by the company in creating an international brand. “We don’t see Brazil as an isolated, exotic place, but as part of a global journalism project,” says Juan Luis Cebrián, CEO at Grupo Prisa.


The multinational has been present in Brazil – in the education market – since 2001, when it acquired Moderna publishing house. After that, it merged Objetiva and Salamandra publishing houses and launched new imprints and products. The Brazilian operation currently accounts for 40% of the company’s total revenue from educational products worldwide.


However, ANJ (Brazilian National Association of Newspaper) is considering filing legal action against El País. The claim is that its Brazilian operation violates the Brazilian Constitution, which states that foreign investors can own only up to 30% of communications companies in Brazil. The Folha de São Paulo newspaper reports that El País owns 99% and Grupo Prisa the remaining 1% of the Brazilian subsidiary according to the Commercial Registry of the State of São Paulo.

Juan Luis Cebrián, CEO at Grupo Prisa, says the Brazilian online edition of El País is part of a global journalism project
Juan Luis Cebrián, CEO at Grupo Prisa, says the Brazilian online edition of El País is part of a global journalism project